-   -   vlookup last occurrence (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/185918-vlookup-last-occurrence.html)

Jack Sons

vlookup last occurrence

Hi all,

I need a vlookup worksheet function (Excel 2K) that works with the last
occurrence of the search value in the reference column in stead of the
first. Any ideas?

TIA

Jack Sons
The Netherlands

Niek Otten

vlookup last occurrence

Hi Jack,

From Google's archives, T. Valko:

=LOOKUP(2,1/(B1:B20="text_string"),A1:A20)

Haven't tested it, but know Tony's qualities..........

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jack Sons" wrote in message ...
| Hi all,
|
| I need a vlookup worksheet function (Excel 2K) that works with the last
| occurrence of the search value in the reference column in stead of the
| first. Any ideas?
|
| TIA
|
| Jack Sons
| The Netherlands

Jack Sons

vlookup last occurrence

Niek,

Thank you.

For those readers who, like me, felt their brain shrinking to pinhead size
when they saw Valko's formula, see his explanation in:

http://groups.google.nl/group/micros...afe47812ba41e5

Valko's explanation (May 4 2007, 20:46) is the 4th entry from the top.

By the way, in stead of "text_string" a cell reference like A40 will also
work; B:B in stead of B1:B20 (col A likewise) will not.

Jack Sons.

"Niek Otten" schreef in bericht
Hi Jack,

From Google's archives, T. Valko:

"Jack Sons" wrote in message
| Hi all,
|
| I need a vlookup worksheet function (Excel 2K) that works with the last
| occurrence of the search value in the reference column in stead of the
| first. Any ideas?
|
| TIA
|
| Jack Sons
| The Netherlands

[email protected]

vlookup last occurrence

Or, just sort your dataset in reverse, then run a normal vlookup :)