-   -   Inserting the same text in various cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/184927-inserting-same-text-various-cells.html)

Josh W

Inserting the same text in various cells

If I want to insert the same text/number etc in many different cells but not
in any order e.g. A4 D5 F8 etc. What is the quickest way to do this NOT using
copy/paste? Excel 2003.

Max

"Josh W" wrote:
If I want to insert the same text/number etc in many different cells but not
in any order e.g. A4 D5 F8 etc. What is the quickest way to do this NOT using
copy/paste? Excel 2003.

Hold down CTRL then click to select all cells, which may be a mix of
contiguous & discontiguous cells. Then click inside the formula bar, type the
text, and press CTRL+ENTER.

And if the selection of cells is always the same, you could also create a
named range to save repetitive effort in re-selecting each time. To create
the named range, after you have carefully selected all cells concerned, just
click inside the namebox*, type a name, say: MyR, then press ENTER
*dropdown just to the left of the formula bar, above col header "A"

With the named range defined, just click on the namebox dropdown and select
MyR, and the range will be auto-selected immediately. You could then proceed
to either clear the range, or enter the text into the formula bar, press
CTRL+ENTER, or format all at one go, etc
--
Max
Singapore

Jan Karel Pieterse

Inserting the same text in various cells

Hi Josh,

If I want to insert the same text/number etc in many different cells but not
in any order e.g. A4 D5 F8 etc. What is the quickest way to do this NOT using
copy/paste? Excel 2003.

Select the cells, type the text and hit control+enter.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
http://www.jkp-ads.com
Member of:
Professional Office Developer Association
www.proofficedev.com

Josh W

Inserting the same text in various cells

Thanks Max, those were great tips!

"Max" wrote:

"Josh W" wrote:
[...]

Welcome. Do take a moment to press the "Yes" button below
from where you're reading this.