Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default xls file will not launch

When I double click on a .xls file, the program lauches, but the data does
not. If I start excel first then open the file from the menu bar the data is
present.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets some of the windows registry to
excel's factory defaults.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Running Excel 2007 (hate it by the way) and this did not work for me. I
tried the unregister / register and it did not do anything. But I could not
find the "ignore other
applications" anywhere in options. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

atlantic grouper wrote:

When I double click on a .xls file, the program lauches, but the data does
not. If I start excel first then open the file from the menu bar the data is
present.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this

Click on the Office button
Excel options
Click on Advanced
In the General section uncheck Ignore other applications that use dynamic data exchange(DDE)

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

atlantic grouper wrote:

When I double click on a .xls file, the program lauches, but the data does
not. If I start excel first then open the file from the menu bar the data is
present.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nope.
my box already unchecked.

I have already wasted 40+ hours completely re-entering 800+ cells in 6
worksheets worth of data and formulas because 2007 could not run an Excel
workbook that was developed under Excel_97 and migrated, with no problems to
Excel 2003. Even the MS Support Teck could not figure out why it took 1;45 to
just open the workbeeokanf then 2:05 to change the value in a single cell, so
only option was to completely re-write the workbook because some "blackmagic"
was in my original workbook and if I did any copy & paste I would probably
"infect" the new workbook.

So Now i got it done and guess what dbl click in Explorer will not open the
XLSM file. The file opens OK after I start Excel.

Open Office is next on my list as I have wasted too much time trying to fix
this broken MS application that even after sending a copy to MS they can't
figure out.