-   -   inserting a dash into cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/184616-inserting-dash-into-cells.html)

tjackson

inserting a dash into cells

I am importing data from an old DOS system. I am trying to add a formula so
that numbers that import at "12345 678" can be reformatted to "12345-678".
I can import the two sets of numbers as one or two columns which ever will
let me accomplish the task.
Help please!
Thanks,
TJ

AKphidelt

inserting a dash into cells

If you could import as 2 columns you can easily concatenate the numbers.

So in your example if those numbers were in A1 and B1 you would put the
formula in C1

=A1&"-"&B1