-   -   Help with merged cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/182432-help-merged-cells.html)

Chesster

Help with merged cells

I have a number of vertically merged cells showing one piece of text for all
merged cells in several different columns throughout my spreadsheet.

Ex. Column J has rows 2-16 merged and showing C18378 only on row 16
And column L has rows 2-16 merged and showing 15138459 only on row 16
But Column J also has rows 17-30 merged showing D78555 only on row 30
And column L has rows 17-30 merged and showing 13931973 only on row 30
.. . . etc.

I need to unmerge all of them and show the text in every cell.
My spreadsheet has over 30,000 rows in it; how can I do this easily?

Gord Dibben

Help with merged cells

Select columns J and L.

FormatCellsAlignment. Uncheck "merge cells"

Now you have data in J1, L1, J17, J30 and of course the other former merged
cells below these.

Select J and L again then F5SpecialBlanksOK

Type an = sign in active blank cell then point or arrow up to cell above and
hit CTRL + ENTER

If/when happy copy all and paste specialvaluesokesc.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP