-   -   Case Statements in Excel 2003 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/182397-case-statements-excel-2003-a.html)

Alex

Case Statements in Excel 2003

Stupid question, but is it possible to do a Case statement in Excel
2003? I can do an IF with no problem, but I need to test a field to
see if it meets about a dozen criteria, and it freaks out if I nest
more than 5 IF statements.

I've looked this up and found a few folks doing this in VB Script, but
given I've never done VBS in Excel, I don't even know where to begin
on that front if that's the only way.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions --

Alex

Gary''s Student

Case Statements in Excel 2003

Sub routine()
v = ActiveCell.Value
Select Case v
Case "dog"
MsgBox ("a mammal")
Case "rose"
MsgBox ("a flower")
Case "guppy"
MsgBox ("a fish")
End Select

Gary''s Student - gsnu2007g

"Alex" wrote:

Stupid question, but is it possible to do a Case statement in Excel
2003? I can do an IF with no problem, but I need to test a field to
see if it meets about a dozen criteria, and it freaks out if I nest
more than 5 IF statements.

I've looked this up and found a few folks doing this in VB Script, but
given I've never done VBS in Excel, I don't even know where to begin
on that front if that's the only way.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions --

Alex

Alex

Case Statements in Excel 2003

On Apr 3, 11:49*am, Gary''s Student
wrote:
Sub routine()
v = ActiveCell.Value
Select Case v
Case "dog"
* * MsgBox ("a mammal")
Case "rose"
* * MsgBox ("a flower")
Case "guppy"
* * MsgBox ("a fish")
End Select

Gary''s Student - gsnu2007g

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply, but this doesn't help much. Where would I plug
this or similar code into a spreadsheet to execute?

Thanks again - Alex

Dave Peterson

Case Statements in Excel 2003

Maybe you could put your list of criteria in a column in a different worksheet
and whatever you want associated with each value in the adjacent cell. I'd use
A1:B12 (about).

Then I could use =vlookup() to retrieve that associated value.

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on =vlookup():
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())

--

Dave Peterson