-   -   Conditional Formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/182339-conditional-formula.html)

David

Conditional Formula

Need help with a formula. (Excel 2003)
Need to create a conditional formula to identify spending trends.
Example:
A1= Alocated Budget, A2-A5= Spending Breakdown, A6= Total Actual Spent

If A6 is 50% or less than A1, flag "Green"
If A6 is 51% or greater than A1, flag "Red"

Thanks

Mike H

Conditional Formula

Hi,

Select A6 then
Format|Conditional format
Cell value is
Less than
=$A$1/2
select green Ok

Click ADD and repeat but this time use 'greater than equal to'
select red

Mike

"David" wrote:

Need help with a formula. (Excel 2003)
Need to create a conditional formula to identify spending trends.
Example:
A1= Alocated Budget, A2-A5= Spending Breakdown, A6= Total Actual Spent

If A6 is 50% or less than A1, flag "Green"
If A6 is 51% or greater than A1, flag "Red"

Thanks

David

Conditional Formula

How is it identifing the cell to compare to?
I am working across a row, not down a column, does this make a difference?
This one has got me stumped!
I need "I3" to flag if it is greater or less than 50% of "D3"

Thanks for the help,
David

"David" wrote:

Need help with a formula. (Excel 2003)
Need to create a conditional formula to identify spending trends.
Example:
A1= Alocated Budget, A2-A5= Spending Breakdown, A6= Total Actual Spent

If A6 is 50% or less than A1, flag "Green"
If A6 is 51% or greater than A1, flag "Red"

Thanks

David Biddulph[_2_]

Conditional Formula

Probably "less than or equal" and then "greater than".
[The OP wanted 50% to be green.]
--
David Biddulph

"David" wrote:

Need help with a formula. (Excel 2003)
Need to create a conditional formula to identify spending trends.
Example:
A1= Alocated Budget, A2-A5= Spending Breakdown, A6= Total Actual Spent

If A6 is 50% or less than A1, flag "Green"
If A6 is 51% or greater than A1, flag "Red"

Thanks

Mike H

Conditional Formula

David,

You've got me confused now. In your original post you said
If A6 is 50% or less than A1, flag "Green"
If A6 is 51% or greater than A1, flag "Red"

So my formula compared A6 to 1/2 of A1
If you want to compare I3 to 50% of D3 then it's the same as before with the
references changed

So select I3 and enter the conditional format
=$D$3/2

Mike

"David" wrote:

Need help with a formula. (Excel 2003)
Need to create a conditional formula to identify spending trends.
Example:
A1= Alocated Budget, A2-A5= Spending Breakdown, A6= Total Actual Spent

If A6 is 50% or less than A1, flag "Green"
If A6 is 51% or greater than A1, flag "Red"

Thanks

Mike H

Conditional Formula

You may be correct but now we seem to have gone from comparing A6 to 50%*A1
to a completely different set of references!!

"David" wrote:

Need help with a formula. (Excel 2003)
Need to create a conditional formula to identify spending trends.
Example:
A1= Alocated Budget, A2-A5= Spending Breakdown, A6= Total Actual Spent

If A6 is 50% or less than A1, flag "Green"
If A6 is 51% or greater than A1, flag "Red"

Thanks

David Biddulph[_2_]

Conditional Formula

The way it is identifying the cell with which to compare is:
"Cell value is
Less than
=$A$1/2"

We'll leave you to work out what to do to compare with 50% of D3.
--
David Biddulph

"David" wrote:

Need help with a formula. (Excel 2003)
Need to create a conditional formula to identify spending trends.
Example:
A1= Alocated Budget, A2-A5= Spending Breakdown, A6= Total Actual Spent

If A6 is 50% or less than A1, flag "Green"
If A6 is 51% or greater than A1, flag "Red"

Thanks

David

Conditional Formula

Thank you both for your help. Sorry for the confusion. I knew what I needed,
just needed to figure out how to ask.

Thanks