-   -   combining data with a common cell value (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/181670-combining-data-common-cell-value.html)

councilman24

combining data with a common cell value

I don't know what this is called but I have two worksheets, column A in
worksheet a is a subset of column A in worksheet b. I want to find all of
the values in common in column A and move the row with common A values from
worksheet b to that matching row in worksheet a. Or end up with a third
worksheet with this effect. Any help?

--
Terry

MyVeryOwnSelf

combining data with a common cell value

I don't know what this is called but I have two worksheets, column A
in worksheet a is a subset of column A in worksheet b. I want to find
all of the values in common in column A and move the row with common A
values from worksheet b to that matching row in worksheet a. Or end
up with a third worksheet with this effect. Any help?

To get started, you might consider something like this...

Create a new worksheet. In A1 of the new worksheet, put (all in one line):
=IF(COUNTIF(b!$A:$A,a!$A1)0,
VLOOKUP(a!$A1,b!$A:$Z,COLUMN(),FALSE),a!A1)

Select A1 and use
Edit Copy

Select the entire range of data on the new sheet and use
Edit Paste

Modify to suit.