-   -   formula to count number of two different non-numeric responses (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/180330-formula-count-number-two-different-non-numeric-responses.html)

cookie's mom

formula to count number of two different non-numeric responses

having trouble with this - need help on what formula to count the total of
two different non-numeric values in a range, i.e., "Yes" and "NA" - trying
COUNTIF, but having trouble...

Gary''s Student

formula to count number of two different non-numeric responses

=COUNTIF(A1:A20,"YES")
=COUNTIF(A1:A20,"NA")

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200774

"cookie's mom" wrote:

having trouble with this - need help on what formula to count the total of
two different non-numeric values in a range, i.e., "Yes" and "NA" - trying
COUNTIF, but having trouble...

Ron Coderre

formula to count number of two different non-numeric responses

Try this:

=SUM(COUNTIF(A1:A10,{"yes","na"}))

Is that something you can work with?
Post back if you have more questions.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"cookie's mom" wrote in message
having trouble with this - need help on what formula to count the total of
two different non-numeric values in a range, i.e., "Yes" and "NA" - trying
COUNTIF, but having trouble...

Fred Smith[_4_]

formula to count number of two different non-numeric responses

=countif(range,"Yes")+countif(range,"NA")

Regards,
Fred

"cookie's mom" wrote in message
having trouble with this - need help on what formula to count the total of
two different non-numeric values in a range, i.e., "Yes" and "NA" - trying
COUNTIF, but having trouble...

Michael R

formula to count number of two different non-numeric responses

Ron,

That's a very interesting solution. I do not fully understand what the
{"yes", "na"} does and why a SUM(..) is required around the COUNTIF. Would
you mind teaching me, please?

I tried substituting the list in your formula {"yes", "na"} by a range eg
{D1:D2} where these cells would hold the values "yes" and "na". but that
wouldn't work.

Is there a way how to apply this extended flexiility to your formula?

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

=SUM(COUNTIF(A1:A10,{"yes","na"}))

Is that something you can work with?
Post back if you have more questions.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"cookie's mom" wrote in message
having trouble with this - need help on what formula to count the total of
two different non-numeric values in a range, i.e., "Yes" and "NA" - trying
COUNTIF, but having trouble...

Michael R

formula to count number of two different non-numeric responses

Ha, I solved on epart of the challenge: ctrl-shift-enter makes the formula
work with a range

Still I am not sure about the Sum(...)

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

=SUM(COUNTIF(A1:A10,{"yes","na"}))

Is that something you can work with?
Post back if you have more questions.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"cookie's mom" wrote in message
having trouble with this - need help on what formula to count the total of
two different non-numeric values in a range, i.e., "Yes" and "NA" - trying
COUNTIF, but having trouble...

Dave Peterson

formula to count number of two different non-numeric responses

Highlight the characters COUNTIF(A1:A10,{"yes","na"}) in the formula bar and hit
F9.

You'll see something like
{2,4}

It's an array of values.

You're using =sum() to add them up.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

=SUM(COUNTIF(A1:A10,{"yes","na"}))

Is that something you can work with?
Post back if you have more questions.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"cookie's mom" wrote in message
having trouble with this - need help on what formula to count the total of
two different non-numeric values in a range, i.e., "Yes" and "NA" - trying
COUNTIF, but having trouble...

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

formula to count number of two different non-numeric responses

ps. Hit escape after you've see the array.

Or hit Ctrl-z (edit|undo) to get the formula back to what it was.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

=SUM(COUNTIF(A1:A10,{"yes","na"}))

Is that something you can work with?
Post back if you have more questions.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"cookie's mom" wrote in message
having trouble with this - need help on what formula to count the total of
two different non-numeric values in a range, i.e., "Yes" and "NA" - trying
COUNTIF, but having trouble...

--

Dave Peterson

Michael R

formula to count number of two different non-numeric responses

Very interesting & useful!, thank you