-   -   how to filter spreadsheet by multiple variables? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/180039-how-filter-spreadsheet-multiple-variables.html)

Joe

how to filter spreadsheet by multiple variables?

I know I can use autofilter to find certain criteria that exist in
rows within the same column. Is it possible to sort by mutiple
variables, like 2 or 10? Say I have a column with variables a-z. Is it
possible to filter all the rows with b,c, j, p and x?

Max

how to filter spreadsheet by multiple variables?

.. Say I have a column with variables a-z. Is it
possible to filter all the rows with b,c, j, p and x?

Use helper col to flag it, then autofilter on the helper
Eg if data in A2 down,
you could place this in B2:
= -- ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,{"b";"c";"j";"p";"x"},0))
Copy B2 down to the last row of data in col A,
then just autofilter on the col B, selecting: 1
--
Max
Singapore

---"Joe" wrote in message

I know I can use autofilter to find certain criteria that exist in
rows within the same column. Is it possible to sort by mutiple
variables, like 2 or 10? Say I have a column with variables a-z. Is it
possible to filter all the rows with b,c, j, p and x?

Wow, that works great Max, and so simple - my favorite kind of
solution, thanks!

Joe

---"Joe" wrote in message

I know I can use autofilter to find certain criteria that exist in
rows within the same column. Is it possible to sort by mutiple
variables, like 2 or 10? Say I have a column with variables a-z. Is it
possible to filter all the rows with b,c, j, p and x?

one other quick question, is there another way to copy the b2 equation
down the list other than dragging it? It's a very long spreadsheet,
thanks

Max

how to filter spreadsheet by multiple variables?

one other quick question, is there another way to copy the b2 equation
down the list other than dragging it? It's a very long spreadsheet,

2 ways
1. If there's no in-between blank cells in col A, just double click on the
fill handle
2. Type the range in the namebox*, eg, type: B2:B10000
Press ENTER, this selects the range with B2 active
Paste the formula into the formula bar,
then just press CTRL+ENTER
*the dropdown just to the left of the formula bar
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Max

how to filter spreadsheet by multiple variables?

welcome, Joe.