-   -   Error when opening an excel file (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/180018-error-when-opening-excel-file.html)

efronk

Error when opening an excel file

I get an error whenever I try to open an excel file attached to an email or
from the folder (if I open my computer or my documents). In both cases is
says the that file cannot be found. I do not have a problem opening an excel
file if I open the excel program first.

Dave Peterson

Error when opening an excel file

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets some of the windows registry to
excel's factory defaults.

--

Dave Peterson