-   -   trouble opening excel documents (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/179207-trouble-opening-excel-documents.html)

JDD1

trouble opening excel documents

I am having trouble opening documents on Excel 2003. When I try to open a
document, Excel opens but the document is missing. If I go to file then open,
click the same same document, it appears. I have made sure no other instances
are stuck in memory, and the hide icon is not selected. Any suggestions would
be helpful. thanks

Dave Peterson

trouble opening excel documents

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets some of the windows registry to
excel's factory defaults.

Maybe one of these will work for you.

--

Dave Peterson

Gord Dibben

trouble opening excel documents

Try the usual fix for this.

ToolsOptionsGeneral Uncheck "Ignore Other Applications"

If no joy with that................

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.

In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes required)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 12:50:01 -0800, JDD1 wrote:

I am having trouble opening documents on Excel 2003. When I try to open a
document, Excel opens but the document is missing. If I go to file then open,
click the same same document, it appears. I have made sure no other instances
are stuck in memory, and the hide icon is not selected. Any suggestions would
be helpful. thanks

JDD1

trouble opening excel documents

Thanks for the quick help, unchecking the ignore other app's solved the problem