-   -   Calculation Manual vs Automatic (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/178732-calculation-manual-vs-automatic.html)

TJAC

Calculation Manual vs Automatic

My computer switches in the Tools -- Options menu and then the calculation
tab from automatic to manual by itself. I will select automatic one day and
the next day I will be working in Excel and suddenly it has switched to
manual again. What can I do so that it remains on Automatic since I am not
changing it? It's really annoying because sometimes I don't think about it
since I didn't switch it to begin with.

Thanks for your help!

Bob I

Calculation Manual vs Automatic

You must be opening a workbook that has been set to manual, that will
change it. Check the settings on the files you have opened.

TJAC wrote:

My computer switches in the Tools -- Options menu and then the calculation
tab from automatic to manual by itself. I will select automatic one day and
the next day I will be working in Excel and suddenly it has switched to
manual again. What can I do so that it remains on Automatic since I am not
changing it? It's really annoying because sometimes I don't think about it
since I didn't switch it to begin with.

Thanks for your help!

Dave Peterson

Calculation Manual vs Automatic

Excel picks up this setting from the first workbook you open in that session.
If you have a workbook that is shared between lots of folks, maybe one of them
opened, changed that setting and then saved the workbook.

--

Dave Peterson

JP[_4_]

Calculation Manual vs Automatic

If you wanted a VBA solution, this code would go in the ThisWorkbook module
of your personal.xls workbook.

Private WithEvents XLApp As Excel.Application

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Set XLApp = Excel.Application
End Sub

Private Sub XLApp_NewWorkbook(ByVal Wb As Workbook)
XLApp.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
End Sub

Private Sub XLApp_WorkbookOpen(ByVal Wb As Workbook)
XLApp.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
End Sub

HTH,
JP