Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Change Default Setting-Find & Replace-How?

How do I change the default behavior of the Find & Replace dialog box to
Search by Columns versus Rows?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Saved from a previous post:

Excel tries to help by remembering the last settings you used--except for the
first search in that session.

You can use that to your advantage.

You could make a dummy workbook and put it in your xlStart folder. Have a
macro in that workbook that does a find (and sets all the stuff the way you
like). Then closes and gets out of the way.

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()

'change the settings the way you like
Worksheets("sheet1").Cells.Find What:="", After:=ActiveCell, _
LookIn:=xlFormulas, _
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, _
SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False

ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False

End Sub

The workbook opens, does a find (to fix your settings) and then closes to get
out of the way.

But if you do an Edit|Find and change anything, then those changed settings will
be remembered.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If I select a range of 5 columns and 20 rows there are 100 cells. If I
select a range of 20 columns and 5 rows there are 100 cells. Either way the
search has to search 100 cells. No documentation on Excel I have ever seen,
has told me what difference search by rows or columns makes. Do you know?

Tyro

Roy Sprunger wrote:

How do I change the default behavior of the Find & Replace dialog box to
Search by Columns versus Rows?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Even find next has to look through the 100 cells. If all the occurrences are
in one row and I select search by row, Find Next does not know that there
are no other occurrences until all 100 cells have been searched row by row
Or, am I missing something?.

Tyro wrote:

[...]

If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro
at:

Roy Sprunger wrote:

How do I change the default behavior of the Find & Replace dialog box
Search by Columns versus Rows?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If all the occurrences are in a single row or a single column, there's no
difference. But the selection pattern of find next will be different when the
searched for values are not in that single column/row.