-   -   If Function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/175380-if-function.html)

suemarie

If Function

Is it possible to use an IF function to do the following

If cell C2 "is blank" then return the value in C3, if not then do nothing.
I guess my question is can "is blank" be used in an IF function.

Don Guillett

If Function

""

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"suemarie" wrote in message
Is it possible to use an IF function to do the following

If cell C2 "is blank" then return the value in C3, if not then do nothing.
I guess my question is can "is blank" be used in an IF function.

Max

If Function

suemarie" wrote:
.. If cell C2 "is blank" then return the value in C3, if not then do nothing.

One way: =IF(C2="",C3,"")
--
Max
Singapore

suemarie

If Function

Wow...I shoulda thought of that!!! Thanks

"Don Guillett" wrote:

""

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"suemarie" wrote in message
Is it possible to use an IF function to do the following

If cell C2 "is blank" then return the value in C3, if not then do nothing.
I guess my question is can "is blank" be used in an IF function.

Tyro[_2_]

If Function

Just bear in mind that "" (the empty string) which appears as a blank, is
not the same as a blank meaning nothing at all in the cell. Functions such
as COUNTA and COUNTBLANK will count the empty string, but not a truly empty
cell, a blank.

Tyro

"suemarie" wrote in message
Is it possible to use an IF function to do the following

If cell C2 "is blank" then return the value in C3, if not then do nothing.
I guess my question is can "is blank" be used in an IF function.

Tyro[_2_]

If Function

Correction: COUNTA counts cells with something in them and empty strings
(=""), COUNTBLANK counts truly empty cells and empty strings (=""). As
usual, I don't see my errors until after I have posted.

Tyro

"suemarie" wrote in message
Is it possible to use an IF function to do the following

If cell C2 "is blank" then return the value in C3, if not then do
nothing.
I guess my question is can "is blank" be used in an IF function.

Don Guillett

If Function

=IF(LEN(TRIM(C8))<1,1,2)

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"suemarie" wrote in message
Is it possible to use an IF function to do the following

If cell C2 "is blank" then return the value in C3, if not then do nothing.
I guess my question is can "is blank" be used in an IF function.

Dall

If Function

=IF(ISBLANK(C2),C3,"")