Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I allow blank columns in a .CSV file?

I have a faily basic excel worksheet that I am saving as a csv file. The file
contains c400 rows and 15 columns. The last 5 columns of data are currently
empty. When I save the file and open it in Notepad to check it is ok, I can
see that only the first 15 rows are being saved correctly and that the rest
are not producing the required 5 commas (to depict the empty columns) as they
should. See below for a paste of the Notepad file. You can see the 5 commas
at the end of records 14 and 15 but not for subsequent rows where there are
no commas:

LOR991587,Fred Bloogs,Male,United Kingdom,Cleveland,LOR
,Fr ed,Engineering
Surveyor,Male,22/05/1957,United Kingdom,,,,,,
LOR991588,Fred, Grogrs,Male,United Kingdom,Essex,LOR
,Fred fred,Project
Director,Male,03/02/1955,United Kingdom,,,,,,
LOR991589,Janice, JolinMale,United Kingdom,Hertfordshire,LOR
m,Janice Joplin,Senior
Quantity Surveyor,Male,18/10/1957,United Kingdom
LOR991590,Julian, Jolpi,Male,United Kingdom,Norfolk,LOR
m,Julian Jolpi,Regional
Commercial Manager,Male,29/08/1958,United Kingdom

I have tried entering data into the last row/last column but this only seems
to correct the 2/3 rows above.

Any help appreciated!