-   -   Sorting data by highlighting? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/174270-sorting-data-highlighting.html)

Jonathan

Sorting data by highlighting?

Hi all,

Any way to sort data by which columns are highlighted? I currently have a
s/s of about 20,000 rows and there are rows that are highlighted throughout
that I'd like to separate--what is the best way to go about doing this?
Thanks!

-Jonathan

FSt1

Sorting data by highlighting?

hi
by highlighted do you mean colored?
if so then sorting by color is built in for 2007. (i think)
but for all version back, there is no built in way to do this. it is done
but usually with a helper column where the diferent colors are assign a
different number or letter in the helper column and the sort is done on the
helper column.
you could write a macro to assign the values to the helper column.
you might find help in the following site.
http://cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

it contains custom functions to count, sum and sort by colors.

Regards
FSt1