-   -   Show leading zeros. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/174120-show-leading-zeros.html)

panaga

Show leading zeros.

How do I get a leading "0" to show up in a number formatted cell?

Sloth

Show leading zeros.

to get 12 to show as 0012 changing the custom number format to 0000

"panaga" wrote:

How do I get a leading "0" to show up in a number formatted cell?

Jim Thomlinson

Show leading zeros.

Format the cell with a custom format similar to 0000. This will always
display the number as having 4 digits with leading zero(s).
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"panaga" wrote:

How do I get a leading "0" to show up in a number formatted cell?

PCLIVE

Show leading zeros.

The only way I know of is to force the entry to be seen as text.

Precede your number with an apostrophe
Ex. '001234

HTH,
Paul

--

"panaga" wrote in message
How do I get a leading "0" to show up in a number formatted cell?

PCLIVE

Show leading zeros.

Ok. That wasn't the only way I knew of...I just wasn't thinking straight
when I replied.

--

"panaga" wrote in message
How do I get a leading "0" to show up in a number formatted cell?

FSt1

Show leading zeros.

hi
to add...
formatting will show leading zeros on the screen but not in the formula bar.
formatting changes the way data looks, not the data. the data will not export
with leading zeros. to do that it must be formatted as text.

regards
FSt1

"panaga" wrote:

How do I get a leading "0" to show up in a number formatted cell?

ShaneDevenshire

Show leading zeros.

Hi,

You can do this many ways, some already mentioned:

1. Format the cell to Text, then type the numbers in with leading 0's
2. Start the entry with an apostrophy '0001234
3. Format the cell to Custom 00000 adding as many zeros as you want to show.
4. =RIGHT("00000"&A1,5) this will create a cell which packs leading 0's up
to five characters in all.

With numbers 1, 2, 4 above the cell actually contains the digits, with #3 it
is strictly a format, the cell does not contain the leading 0's.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire