-   -   Auto Numbering (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/173812-auto-numbering.html)

Richard

Auto Numbering

I need to automatically number rows in a spreadsheet. I've tried the ROW
function but unless I start at Row 1 and then need to remove a row in the
middle of the spreadsheet I get a #REF error. How can I start row numbering
in Cell A3 and if I need to delete a row somewhere in the spreadsheet have it
automatically adjust?

David Biddulph[_2_]

Auto Numbering

=ROW()-2 ?

Where does your #REF error come from? what formula were you using?
--
David Biddulph

"Richard" wrote in message
I need to automatically number rows in a spreadsheet. I've tried the ROW
function but unless I start at Row 1 and then need to remove a row in the
middle of the spreadsheet I get a #REF error. How can I start row
numbering
in Cell A3 and if I need to delete a row somewhere in the spreadsheet have
it
automatically adjust?

Gary''s Student

Auto Numbering

Use no reference in the function. In A3 enter:

=ROW()-2 and copy down
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200765

"Richard" wrote:

I need to automatically number rows in a spreadsheet. I've tried the ROW
function but unless I start at Row 1 and then need to remove a row in the
middle of the spreadsheet I get a #REF error. How can I start row numbering
in Cell A3 and if I need to delete a row somewhere in the spreadsheet have it
automatically adjust?

Richard

Auto Numbering

It worked....thanks to you both.