-   -   How to change default Open/Files of Type to "Microsoft Excel Files (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/172971-how-change-default-open-files-type-microsoft-excel-files.html)

Tammy

How to change default Open/Files of Type to "Microsoft Excel Files

Hello,

We are running Excel 2002 and I have been asked by a user how to change an
option for opening files.

When this person selects to open files in Excel the default "Files of type"
option is set to "All Microsoft Excel Files" - they would prefer that this
default setting is set to "Microsoft Excel Files". They swear that this was
an option before and has changed and I can not find out to change this.

If someone knows how to do this that would be great and I can get this one
of the list! :-)

Thanks so much in advance.
Tammy

Gord Dibben

How to change default Open/Files of Type to "Microsoft Excel Files

I don't remember being able to set this option on earlier versions and I don't
see a way to alter my version 2003.

Hopefully someone like Jim Rech will post a registry hack.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:05:01 -0800, Tammy
wrote:

Hello,

We are running Excel 2002 and I have been asked by a user how to change an
option for opening files.

When this person selects to open files in Excel the default "Files of type"
option is set to "All Microsoft Excel Files" - they would prefer that this
default setting is set to "Microsoft Excel Files". They swear that this was
an option before and has changed and I can not find out to change this.

If someone knows how to do this that would be great and I can get this one
of the list! :-)

Thanks so much in advance.
Tammy

Tyro[_2_]

How to change default Open/Files of Type to "Microsoft Excel Files

In Excel 2007, I can choose "Excel Files" as opposed to "All Excel Files"
and that setting will remain for the current Excel session. However, the
default of "All Excel Files" is set when Excel is re-opened. I know of no
way of changing this in Excel.

Tyro