-   -   Importing data numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/172377-importing-data-numbers.html)

JB

Importing data numbers

I'm having a problem when inmporting numbers into excel from a text file.
I'm finding that excel is concverting the number into a scientific format,
which once imported I cant convert back.
Is tehre any way of changing a setting so that the numbers dont get truncated?

Kevin B

Importing data numbers

Open the text file from Excel and and when defining the columns to import
designate of large numbers as text.
--
Kevin Backmann

"JB" wrote:

I'm having a problem when inmporting numbers into excel from a text file.
I'm finding that excel is concverting the number into a scientific format,
which once imported I cant convert back.
Is tehre any way of changing a setting so that the numbers dont get truncated?

JB

Importing data numbers

HI kevin, thanks for that.
I actually note its a csv file will that work the same?

"JB" wrote:

I'm having a problem when inmporting numbers into excel from a text file.
I'm finding that excel is concverting the number into a scientific format,
which once imported I cant convert back.
Is tehre any way of changing a setting so that the numbers dont get truncated?

Dave Peterson

Importing data numbers

Rename the .csv file to .txt first.

"JB" wrote:

I'm having a problem when inmporting numbers into excel from a text file.
I'm finding that excel is concverting the number into a scientific format,
which once imported I cant convert back.
Is tehre any way of changing a setting so that the numbers dont get truncated?

--

Dave Peterson

David Biddulph[_2_]

Importing data numbers

Or import your csv by Data/ Import External Data, rather than by File/ Open.
--
David Biddulph