-   -   Prevent EXCEL from rounding the result of a calculation (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/172187-prevent-excel-rounding-result-calculation.html)

elusiverunner

Prevent EXCEL from rounding the result of a calculation

As the subject suggests I am performing a calculation to which the result is
a number with 1 decimal place. Excel keeps rounding this up and I don't want
it to. For example my calculation is giving a result of 13.96 to which I
would like an answer of 13.9 but Excel is giving the answer as 14.0, which
reduces the acuracy of other formulas that use this answer as part of their
result.

Dave Peterson

Prevent EXCEL from rounding the result of a calculation

Maybe you could use

=rounddown(yourformula,1)

--

Dave Peterson

elusiverunner

Prevent EXCEL from rounding the result of a calculation

Thanks very much Dave - works a treat

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Maybe you could use

=rounddown(yourformula,1)

elusiverunner wrote:

As the subject suggests I am performing a calculation to which the result is
a number with 1 decimal place. Excel keeps rounding this up and I don't want
it to. For example my calculation is giving a result of 13.96 to which I
would like an answer of 13.9 but Excel is giving the answer as 14.0, which
reduces the acuracy of other formulas that use this answer as part of their
result.

--

Dave Peterson

David Biddulph[_2_]

Prevent EXCEL from rounding the result of a calculation

Merely displaying a number with 1 decimal place won't cause Excel to change
the value for subsequent calculation (unless you have set the option for
"precision as displayed").
If you've used the ROUND() function, then remove it. The 14.0 is of course
*more* accurate than your suggested 13.9, but if you do want 13.9 you can
use ROUNDDOWN().
--
David Biddulph