Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linked excel tables in word document

Using MS Office 2007 Enterprise Edition with SP! with all updates on a
stand-alone laptop with system administrator rights€¦

The concerns Word and Excel, so I am posting in the Excel newsgroup.

I have an excel file with many worksheets (i.e. tabs at bottom). I have
copied individual excel tables from excel to a long word document using
pasted special, Excel Office Object (the first option, I think that is what
it is called), check the radio button past link. This means when the excel
sheet is updated, those updates are reflected in the Word Document (i.e.
using Update Link in word).

Question 1) To my horror, one day when working on the word document, all the
excel tables were no longer linked, so I wasted hours pasted special again.
Is this a known bug? Is that something I did? I am a power user in tech
support, and I did not ever tell word to break the links.

Question 2) Even worse, and unrelated to 1, one time when I open the excel
file, it opened only in read only, because every cell in all worksheets had
been locked, so I went through the tedious process of unlocking them all,
saving to another name, etc. I did nothing that would have locked the cells.
Is this a known bug? Again, a huge waste of time.

Question 3) Same as question two but (document name)€¦is locked for editing
by Bob Day. Open €˜Read-Only€¦ I (Bob Day) have to close excel reboot to get
it to allow me to open it. Is this a known bug? Again, huge waste of time.

Question 4) Related to Question 2 and 3. If a closed a word or excel
document, and then under windows explorer try to rename that document, it
says it is in use and I must close it from the application first. Well, I
have closed it from the application. In general, if you close the
application (e.g. Word), then you can rename it. But is doesn't work in O7.
Is this a known bug? Again, wasted time.

Please advise.

Bob