-   -   File format invalid (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/172057-file-format-invalid.html)

ranvin56

File format invalid

I have an excell file, .xls, that doesn't seem to be opened in excel2000 or
excell2007. I have even tried to open it in word, thinking that someone might
have made that mistake, but with no success.
I'm getting hte error message stating "File format is not valid". Does
anyone have any suggestions?

Dave Peterson

File format invalid

You may want to try OpenOffice.org and try opening, then saving (as a new
name). It's been known to save some (not always all) data, formatting, formulas
and code.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

If the file is really important, there are commercial recovery services. I've
never used it, but you might want to check into:
http://www.officerecovery.com

--

Dave Peterson