-   -   Charts in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/171979-charts-excel.html)

[email protected]

Charts in Excel

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of items you can
have on the x-axis of a chart in MS excel? Right now I am being
limited to 7 (e.g. when I try to add more than 7 values to my data
series, I am unable to so). Thanks!

Bernard Liengme

Charts in Excel

What type of chart? Explain what steps you are taking. Is the x-axis set to
constant min/max or to automatic?
From Help (specifications)
Feature Maximum limit
Charts linked to a worksheet Limited by available memory
Worksheets referred to by a chart 255
Data series in one chart 255
Data points in a data series for 2-D charts 32,000
Data points in a data series for 3-D charts 4,000
Data points for all data series in one chart 256,000
Line styles 8
Line weights 4
Area patterns (screen display) 18
Total area pattern and color combinations (color display) 56,448

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

On 7 Jan, 14:45, "Bernard Liengme" wrote:
What type of chart? Explain what steps you are taking. Is the x-axis set to
constant min/max or to automatic?
From Help (specifications)

wrote in message

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of items you can
have on the x-axis of a chart in MS excel? *Right now I am being
limited to 7 (e.g. when I try to add more than 7 values to my data
series, I am unable to so). *Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Hi there. Thanks for your response. I am trying to update an existing
bar chart (which currently shows only 7 items across the x-axis--I'd
like it show 9). I went to source data--series. When I try to
update the values in which I would like to edit (which are also housed
on my data sheet), it only allows me to choose 7 of the 9 percentages
that I'd like to incorporate.

Andy Pope

Charts in Excel

Hi,

Another limit is the series formula length, which is around 1024 characters.
This can be quickly exceeded if the chart is based on non-contiguous ranges.

Cheers
Andy

wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of items you can
have on the x-axis of a chart in MS excel? Right now I am being
limited to 7 (e.g. when I try to add more than 7 values to my data
series, I am unable to so). Thanks!

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

[email protected]

Charts in Excel

wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of items you can
have on the x-axis of a chart in MS excel? *Right now I am being
limited to 7 (e.g. when I try to add more than 7 values to my data
series, I am unable to so). *Thanks!

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excelhttp://www.andypope.info

hmmm. I do not think that I am violating any of the above rules/
limitations. Thoughts on how to circumvent this issue?

Bruce Sinclair

Charts in Excel

wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of items you can
have on the x-axis of a chart in MS excel? =A0Right now I am being
limited to 7 (e.g. when I try to add more than 7 values to my data
series, I am unable to so). =A0Thanks!

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excelhttp://www.andypope.info

hmmm. I do not think that I am violating any of the above rules/
limitations. Thoughts on how to circumvent this issue?

Do you have header columns/rows in one set of data and not the other ?
If it's just a 7 bar chart (ie 7 numbers), why not just delete it and create
the 9 bar one from scratch ? Sometimes adding data is much harder than
starting anew. :)

As an aside, if you want an X axis with different gaps (eg, 5, 10, 20, 50
...) your only option is a scatter chart. All the others will plot those
numbers evenly. :)

HTH.

Jon Peltier

Charts in Excel

Double click the axis, click on the Scale tab, and enter 1 where it says
Number of Categories between Tick Mark Labels (even if it says 1 already,
click in the box and press Enter).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

wrote in message
Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of items you can
have on the x-axis of a chart in MS excel? Right now I am being
limited to 7 (e.g. when I try to add more than 7 values to my data
series, I am unable to so). Thanks!

Andy Pope

Charts in Excel

If it's formula length the only work around is to reduce it's length.
This can be done by placing your chart data in a contiguous block.

If you want to email the file, off NG, I will take a look.
andy AT andypope DOT info

Cheers
Andy