-   -   Converting Number to Date (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/170978-converting-number-date.html)

billbrandi

Converting Number to Date

I have a file that I regularly download from a mainframe system. In the
file, dates come across as numbers in a MMDDYY format (example, May 31, 2007
come across as 53107; November 15, 2007 is 111507).

How can I change these numbers to a correct date format in Excel?

Thanks
Bill

David Biddulph[_2_]

Converting Number to Date

Data/ Text to Columns/ select Date & MDY at the end of the wizard.
--
David Biddulph

"billbrandi" wrote in message
I have a file that I regularly download from a mainframe system. In the
file, dates come across as numbers in a MMDDYY format (example, May 31,
2007
come across as 53107; November 15, 2007 is 111507).

How can I change these numbers to a correct date format in Excel?

Thanks
Bill

RagDyeR

Converting Number to Date

You state that the format you download is MMDDYY,
BUT ...
You then give as an example for May 31,2007 - 53107

Are you *sure* that you don't get
053107
which would be MMDDYY format?

If you made a typo, and you *do* download 053107,
then you can use Text To Columns to easily transform those numbers to XL
recognizable dates.

Select the column of data, then from the Menu Bar,
<Data <Text To Columns <Next <Next

Click on "Date", and make sure that "MDY" is displayed in the box.

Then <Finish

You now have XL "legal" dates which you can format to any date style you
wish.
--
HTH,

RD