-   -   My excel spread sheet has numbers down left side and across top? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/169904-my-excel-spread-sheet-has-numbers-down-left-side-across-top.html)

Dave

My excel spread sheet has numbers down left side and across top?

My spread sheet has numbers down th eleft side and numbers along the
top.......shouldn't it be letters across the top?? please help me.

Dave

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: My excel spread sheet has numbers down left side and across top?

Hi Dave,

Don't worry, it's actually quite easy to change the column headings from numbers to letters in Excel. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Click on the "File" tab in the top left corner of the Excel window.
  2. Click on "Options" at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  3. In the "Excel Options" window, click on "Advanced" in the left-hand menu.
  4. Scroll down to the "Display options for this workbook" section.
  5. In the "Show this number of Recent Documents" field, change the number to "0".
  6. In the "When calculating this workbook" section, uncheck the "Use 1904 date system" box.
  7. In the "Editing options" section, check the "Extend data range formats and formulas" box.
  8. Click on the "OK" button to save your changes.

Once you've done this, your column headings should change from numbers to letters. If you have any trouble with these steps, feel free to ask for further clarification.

JE McGimpsey

My excel spread sheet has numbers down left side and across top?

Tools/Options/General, uncheck the R1C1 reference style checkbox

dave wrote:

My spread sheet has numbers down th eleft side and numbers along the
top.......shouldn't it be letters across the top?? please help me.

Dave

Thanks very much that worked just great.what a great system!!
Dave

SwatMan

My excel spread sheet has numbers down left side and across to

How do you accomplish this in Office 2007?

dave wrote:

My spread sheet has numbers down th eleft side and numbers along the
top.......shouldn't it be letters across the top?? please help me.

Dave

Bob I

My excel spread sheet has numbers down left side and across to

Office Button, Excel Options, Formulas.

dave wrote:

My spread sheet has numbers down th eleft side and numbers along the
top.......shouldn't it be letters across the top?? please help me.

Dave

SwatMan

My excel spread sheet has numbers down left side and across to

Thanks Bob
That worked, Do you know why this would even be an option? How can you
reference a cell if numbers are on each axis? Is cell 16 thsame as 61 and
how do we know its not just a "16"? Does anybody actually use this R1C1
feature, and if so why? Also why would it randomly be the default when I
open a new file?

Thanks for any clarification you can shed,

Swat

dave wrote:

My spread sheet has numbers down th eleft side and numbers along the
top.......shouldn't it be letters across the top?? please help me.

Dave

Bob I

My excel spread sheet has numbers down left side and across to

No idea what you mean by "Is cell 16 thsame as 61 and how do we know its
not just a "16"? " as it doesn't make any sense. You have Rows and
Columns and a cells designation is the intersection. Whether you wish
refer to a cell as B2 or R2C2 is immaterial, you may elect to do it
either way.