-   -   Dynamic sheet reference (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/169887-dynamic-sheet-reference.html)

Steve

Dynamic sheet reference

How do I create a dynamic reference to a sheet throught a specific cell
location?

For example: cell ref!A5 where cell ref is the text contents of a specific
cell like B8.
--
steve

Ron Coderre

Dynamic sheet reference

See the INDIRECT function in Excel Help.

If B8: Sheet 3

Then this formula returns the value of cell A5 on the 'Sheet 3' worksheet:
=INDIRECT("'"&B8&"'!A5")

Note: the quote marks can be confusing....
The left set is: Dbl-quote.....Single-quote...Dbl-quote
The right set is: Dbl-quote...Single-quote...!A5...Dbl-quote

When a sheet name includes spaces, references to it
must be enclosed in single-quotes.

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"steve" wrote in message
How do I create a dynamic reference to a sheet throught a specific cell
location?

For example: cell ref!A5 where cell ref is the text contents of a
specific
cell like B8.
--
steve

Steve

Dynamic sheet reference

This is perfect. Thanks
--
steve

"steve" wrote in message
How do I create a dynamic reference to a sheet throught a specific cell
location?

For example: cell ref!A5 where cell ref is the text contents of a
specific
cell like B8.
--
steve