-   -   Excel 2000: Changing path of an external data source (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/169211-excel-2000-changing-path-external-data-source.html)

Craig

Excel 2000: Changing path of an external data source

I built a pivot on data using the "External Data Source" function. The data
is held in an Access table.

I have since moved the Access file and as such the path to which the Pivot
table is pointing to has changed.

My issue is I cannot seem to be able to find a way to update the new path
and hence I cannot refresh my pivot.

When i try point to the Access file in the new location I get the following
errors.

The error reads "ODBC Microsoft Driver Login Failed"

The query cannot be edited by the Query Wizard. When you hit OK the next
text box says '(file name)is not a valid path. Make sure the file name is
spelt correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file
resides.'

Is it possile to somehow (simply) ammend the path name somewhere?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Conan Kelly

Excel 2000: Changing path of an external data source

Craig,

Are you using Win XP?

Whenever I create an external data source to SQL Server, XL (or Windows or
MS Query) creates a file that holds the info for finding and connecting to
the data source. The file name has the extension *.dsn and is stored in
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\ODBC\Data Sources".

I'm assuming that these data source files are created when connecting to
Access (don't know for sure....haven't tested it).

If they are created for Access, I would find the file and open it in
Notepad.exe. I'm willing to bet there will be a Path entry in
there........just adjust that to the proper path.

HTH,

Conan