-   -   show value as text not scientific notation (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/168274-show-value-text-not-scientific-notation.html)

Colin

show value as text not scientific notation

When we export for SQL servers and other sources, we frequently run into the
problem the text fields coming down with "E's" and numerics contained within
them (such as "26E13", which is one of our item numbers, not numeric - should
be text) comes down as "2.60E+13" under general setting in cell formatting.
If you try to convert to text, it will show "26000000000000".

Anybody suggest possible solutions?

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: show value as text not scientific notation

How to display values as text in Excel:
  1. Select the cells that contain the values you want to display as text.
  2. Right-click on the selected cells and choose "Format Cells" from the context menu.
  3. In the Format Cells dialog box, click on the "Number" tab.
  4. In the Category list, select "Text".
  5. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

Note: If you want to apply this formatting to an entire column or range of cells, you can select the column or range before following the above steps.

Bernard Liengme

show value as text not scientific notation

Get the exporting app to send this item as '26E13 so Excel will see it as
text.
OR
Rename the file to Something.TXT
Use File Open; the Text to Column dialog goes up; and you can specify what
is field is to be - text, date, number. Specify that this data (26E13) is
text
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Colin" wrote in message
When we export for SQL servers and other sources, we frequently run into
the
problem the text fields coming down with "E's" and numerics contained
within
them (such as "26E13", which is one of our item numbers, not numeric -
should
be text) comes down as "2.60E+13" under general setting in cell
formatting.
If you try to convert to text, it will show "26000000000000".

Anybody suggest possible solutions?

Colin

show value as text not scientific notation

Bernard:

Thanks for the suggestions! Both were good and I was using both of them and
was hoping there was a better, more automated way of doing it. When I take
from text to excel, i'm then going to Access 2003. Just trying to eliminate
some steps and streamline procedure.

Thanks again