-   -   count different instances in a list (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/167689-count-different-instances-list.html)

mmatz

count different instances in a list

I have a list that has aaa, bbb, cccc, aaa, bbb and want to count the
different instances. So in this example it would be 3 because bbb is
repeated. Is there a formula that does this?

Conan Kelly

count different instances in a list

mmatz,

Assuming that your list is in cells A1:A5, if you put this formula in A7, it
should accomplish what you desi

=countif(A1:A5,"bbb")

HTH,

Conan

"mmatz" wrote in message
I have a list that has aaa, bbb, cccc, aaa, bbb and want to count the
different instances. So in this example it would be 3 because bbb is
repeated. Is there a formula that does this?

Bernard Liengme

count different instances in a list

This one is an array formula and need to be committed with Shift+Ctrl+Enter
=SUM(1/COUNTIF(C1:C6,C1:C6))

This is committed with just Enter
=SUMPRODUCT(--(C1:C6<""),1/COUNTIF(C1:C6,C1:C6&""))

Of course, change C1:C6 to fit your situation
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"mmatz" wrote in message
I have a list that has aaa, bbb, cccc, aaa, bbb and want to count the
different instances. So in this example it would be 3 because bbb is
repeated. Is there a formula that does this?

NBVC

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmatz (Post 591837)
I have a list that has aaa, bbb, cccc, aaa, bbb and want to count the
different instances. So in this example it would be 3 because bbb is
repeated. Is there a formula that does this?

Try:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10<"")/COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1:A10&""))

where A1:A10 contain your data to count.