-   -   Lookup, match? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/167646-lookup-match.html)

jkb66

Lookup, match?

I have a value in column A on sheet 3, I want it to match a value in column A
in sheet 1, then I want the corresponding number from column c on sheet 1 to
populate column c on sheet 3.

Mike H

Lookup, match?

Perhaps this in column C sheet 3

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A1:C30,3,FALSE)

Mike

"jkb66" wrote:

I have a value in column A on sheet 3, I want it to match a value in column A
in sheet 1, then I want the corresponding number from column c on sheet 1 to
populate column c on sheet 3.

Niek Otten

Lookup, match?

In C1:

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A1:C5,3,FALSE)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"jkb66" wrote in message ...
|I have a value in column A on sheet 3, I want it to match a value in column A
| in sheet 1, then I want the corresponding number from column c on sheet 1 to
| populate column c on sheet 3.

Stephen[_2_]

Lookup, match?

"jkb66" wrote in message
I have a value in column A on sheet 3, I want it to match a value in column
in sheet 1, then I want the corresponding number from column c on sheet 1
populate column c on sheet 3.

To get you started, in cell C1 of Sheet3 put this formula:
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A1:C999,3,0)
(Adjust the range A1:C999 to suit your data.)

Copy it down as far as you need for data in Sheet 3.

jkb66

Lookup, match?

Thank you all that did help part 1 of a 2 part problem!,

same workbook. sheet 3 I have a value in column b that I need to match in
sheet 2 and bring the corresponding value in column b and populate into sheet
3 column d, I had thought I could manipulate these VLookups to suit purpose,
but I keeping getting #REF!

"Stephen" wrote:

"jkb66" wrote in message
I have a value in column A on sheet 3, I want it to match a value in column
in sheet 1, then I want the corresponding number from column c on sheet 1
populate column c on sheet 3.

To get you started, in cell C1 of Sheet3 put this formula:
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A1:C999,3,0)
(Adjust the range A1:C999 to suit your data.)

Copy it down as far as you need for data in Sheet 3.

Dave Peterson

Lookup, match?

Just to add...

If you're going to copy the formula down the column, make sure that the lookup
table range doesn't change:

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A1:C999,3,0)
should be:
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!$A$1:$C$999,3,0)

or if there's nothing else in A:C, you could use the whole column:

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!$A:$C,3,0)

jkb66 wrote:

I have a value in column A on sheet 3, I want it to match a value in column A
in sheet 1, then I want the corresponding number from column c on sheet 1 to
populate column c on sheet 3.

--

Dave Peterson

jkb66