-   -   Text length (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/167511-text-length.html)

Traci P.[_2_]

Text length

I have a column containing data anywhere from 5 to 8 characters long. I
would like to copy only the first 5 characters into a new column, for
subtotaling purposes. I seem to remember being able to do this, but have not
been able to figure out how. Can anyone help me with this?

Conan Kelly

Text length

Traci

Asuming that your data is in column A starting at row 2, use this formula in
B2:

=LEFT(A2,5)

Copy/fill down as necessary.

HTH,