-   -   counting blanks in a non-consecutive range (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/166876-counting-blanks-non-consecutive-range.html)

jenniebentham

counting blanks in a non-consecutive range

I need to be able to count the number of blank cells in a range, but my range
is made up of non-consecutive cells, ie B2, D2, F2, H2.

I have tried naming the range 'actual' and then using =COUNTBLANK(actual)
but I get #VALUE!

I have also tried =COUNTBLANK(B2,D2,F2,H2) but it will not accept the formula.

Any suggestions?

Mike H

counting blanks in a non-consecutive range

Maybe:-

=SUM(IF(ISBLANK(B2),1,0)+IF(ISBLANK(D2),1,0)+IF(IS BLANK(F2),1,0)+IF(ISBLANK(H2),1,0))

Enter with Ctrl+shift+enter

Mike

"jenniebentham" wrote:

I need to be able to count the number of blank cells in a range, but my range
is made up of non-consecutive cells, ie B2, D2, F2, H2.

I have tried naming the range 'actual' and then using =COUNTBLANK(actual)
but I get #VALUE!

I have also tried =COUNTBLANK(B2,D2,F2,H2) but it will not accept the formula.

Any suggestions?

jenniebentham

counting blanks in a non-consecutive range

Lovely - thank you!

"jenniebentham" wrote:

I need to be able to count the number of blank cells in a range, but my range
is made up of non-consecutive cells, ie B2, D2, F2, H2.

I have tried naming the range 'actual' and then using =COUNTBLANK(actual)
but I get #VALUE!

I have also tried =COUNTBLANK(B2,D2,F2,H2) but it will not accept the formula.

Any suggestions?

Ron Coderre

counting blanks in a non-consecutive range

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT((COLUMN(B2:H2)={2;4;6;8})*ISBLANK(B2:H 2))

Does that help?

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)