-   -   Formula for Created on Date (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/166747-formula-created-date.html)

Joe M.

Formula for Created on Date

I am trying to automatically insert the file created on date in a cell. Is
there a formula to do this?

Thanks,

Joe M.

JP[_3_]

Formula for Created on Date

After you save the workbook for the first time, use the TODAY()
function and paste it in as a value so it doesn't change every day.

HTH,
JP

On Nov 20, 9:17 am, Joe M. wrote:
I am trying to automatically insert the file created on date in a cell. Is
there a formula to do this?

Thanks,

Joe M.

joel

Formula for Created on Date

See address function on worksheet help
for eaample
=ADDRESS(2,3,1,FALSE,"[Book1]Sheet1") Absolute reference to another workbook
and worksheet ([Book1]Sheet1!R2C3)

ADDRESS

See Also

Creates a cell address as text, given specified row and column numbers.

Syntax

ADDRESS(row_num,column_num,abs_num,a1,sheet_text)

Row_num is the row number to use in the cell reference.

Column_num is the column number to use in the cell reference.

Abs_num specifies the type of reference to return.

Abs_num Returns this type of reference
1 or omitted Absolute
2 Absolute row; relative column
3 Relative row; absolute column
4 Relative

A1 is a logical value that specifies the A1 or R1C1 reference style. If a1
is TRUE or omitted, ADDRESS returns an A1-style reference; if FALSE, ADDRESS
returns an R1C1-style reference.

Sheet_text is text specifying the name of the worksheet to be used as the
external reference. If sheet_text is omitted, no sheet name is used.

Example

The example may be easier to understand if you copy it to a blank worksheet.

How?

Create a blank workbook or worksheet.
Select the example in the Help topic. Do not select the row or column
headers.

Selecting an example from Help

Press CTRL+C.
In the worksheet, select cell A1, and press CTRL+V.
To switch between viewing the results and viewing the formulas that return
the results, press CTRL+` (grave accent), or on the Tools menu, point to
Formula Auditing, and then click Formula Auditing Mode.

A B
Formula Description (Result)
=ADDRESS(2,3) Absolute reference ($C$2)
=ADDRESS(2,3,2) Absolute row; relative column (C$2)
=ADDRESS(2,3,2,FALSE) Absolute row; relative column in R1C1 reference style
(R2C[3])
=ADDRESS(2,3,1,FALSE,"[Book1]Sheet1") Absolute reference to another workbook
and worksheet ([Book1]Sheet1!R2C3)
=ADDRESS(2,3,1,FALSE,"EXCEL SHEET") Absolute reference to another worksheet
('EXCEL SHEET'!R2C3)

"Joe M." wrote:

I am trying to automatically insert the file created on date in a cell. Is
there a formula to do this?

Thanks,

Joe M.

Gary''s Student

Formula for Created on Date

Try this one-line UDF:

Public Function creation_date() As String
creation_date = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Creation Date")
End Function

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200757

"Joe M." wrote:

I am trying to automatically insert the file created on date in a cell. Is
there a formula to do this?

Thanks,

Joe M.

Joe M.

Formula for Created on Date

This works fine except it displays in Date/Time format. I tried to change the
cell format but that doesn't do anything. Also I tried to reference from
another cell and format that cell to display as MM/DD/YYYY and other date
formats but that doesn't work either. How to I change the format?

Thanks,
Joe M.

"Joe M." wrote:

I am trying to automatically insert the file created on date in a cell. Is
there a formula to do this?

Thanks,

Joe M.

Gary''s Student

Formula for Created on Date

Changing formats won't work because the function returns a string. This
version:

Public Function creation_date() As Date
creation_date = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Creation Date")
End Function

returns a true date/time that you can format as date-only
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200757