-   -   Sorting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/166590-sorting.html)

WLMPilot

Sorting

I have a budget within a worksheet. I want to have the capability to sort
each column, acending or decending. Other than creating two macros per
column is there a way to do this. The number of rows will vary, but I only
want to include the rows that have data in them. Currently, columns are A-P
and rows are 9 - 34. Again, as needed, rows will be added.

Thanks for your help,
Les

Flick Olmsford

Sorting

When you say "only include the rows that have data in them", are you saying
you have blank cells and want those blank cells to "stay put" and sort with
the sorted results going into the original non-blank cells?

If you simply select the column with data you can click the sort button,
Excel will warn you that data exists in adjacent rows. You can then indicate
that you do not want adjacent cells / columns sorted. At least that is how
Excel 2003 works.

Alternatively, might leaving blank columns on either side of the columns to
be sorted do, giving them a very tiny width do.

"WLMPilot" wrote:

I have a budget within a worksheet. I want to have the capability to sort
each column, acending or decending. Other than creating two macros per
column is there a way to do this. The number of rows will vary, but I only
want to include the rows that have data in them. Currently, columns are A-P
and rows are 9 - 34. Again, as needed, rows will be added.

Thanks for your help,
Les

rsantaro

Sorting

Select a column of data, including the title and blank rows, apply a Filter
(Data | Sort & Filter | Filter), in the filter drop-down menu in the title
row uncheck (Blanks), apply your sort, deselect the filter (Excel 2007).
--
Gnothi se auton.

"WLMPilot" wrote:

I have a budget within a worksheet. I want to have the capability to sort
each column, acending or decending. Other than creating two macros per
column is there a way to do this. The number of rows will vary, but I only
want to include the rows that have data in them. Currently, columns are A-P
and rows are 9 - 34. Again, as needed, rows will be added.

Thanks for your help,
Les

WLMPilot

Sorting

There are no blanks with the budget. I guess I made that statement in case
the "range" defined were to include blank rows (anything below the current
data). The top row is fixed. Since this is a budget, the possibility to add
to the current list exist, so what use to be a blank row will hold data at
some point.

My email account has headers, ie FROM, DATE, SUBJECT, etc. If I want to
sort by date, I can click on DATE once and it will sort ascending, I click a
2nd time, it sorts descending, etc. I wanted to mirror this ability. I did
not know if I would have to create two macros (acending & decending) or if
there was some other way to sort like I want to without going through the
steps.

Thanks

"WLMPilot" wrote:

I have a budget within a worksheet. I want to have the capability to sort
each column, acending or decending. Other than creating two macros per
column is there a way to do this. The number of rows will vary, but I only
want to include the rows that have data in them. Currently, columns are A-P
and rows are 9 - 34. Again, as needed, rows will be added.

Thanks for your help,
Les

Flick Olmsford

Sorting

Macro's might be the way to go then, or straight VB code, hidden in command
buttons at the top of each column to mirror what we do with email columns.