-   -   pivot tables (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/166462-pivot-tables.html)

PK

pivot tables

I have data on an excel spread sheet a workbook which I would like to use to
populate a pivot table in a different work book.is this possible or does the
pivot table need to be in the same work book?
--
pk

Gary''s Student

pivot tables

A very good question!

The Pivot Wizard does not seem to facilitate this, but I tried this out:

1. open two workbooks
2. create a small table with the Wizard
3. tell the Wizard to put the table on a new worksheet
4. copy the new sheet from the first book to the second book

At this point the data is in book1 and the PT is in book2. I tried changing
the data in book1, went to book2 and the refresh worked just fine.

I never realized this could be done.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200757

"PK" wrote:

I have data on an excel spread sheet a workbook which I would like to use to
populate a pivot table in a different work book.is this possible or does the
pivot table need to be in the same work book?
--
pk

Ed Ferrero

pivot tables

It gets better. Open the Pivot Table Wizard in a new workbook, choose
External Data Source, select Excel as the data source, point to the workbook
containing the data, follow the wizard. You end up with a Pivot Table linked
to an external workbook. No need to open the data workbook.

Ed Ferrero