-   -   Blank cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/166366-blank-cell.html)

Kevins

Blank cell

Hello,
I have a spread sheet which tracks whether an item has been paid or not. It
also looks at the amount claimed and compares this to the amount paid and
returns either "PAID", "UNDERPAID" or "OVERPAID". The problem is, if the
amount paid cell is blank the status defaults to "PAID". Any ideas?

Stephen[_2_]

Blank cell

"Kevins" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a spread sheet which tracks whether an item has been paid or not.
It
also looks at the amount claimed and compares this to the amount paid and
returns either "PAID", "UNDERPAID" or "OVERPAID". The problem is, if the
amount paid cell is blank the status defaults to "PAID". Any ideas?

It's easier if you post your formula. But try this (for amount paid in cell
A1):
=IF(A1="","",put_your_formula_here)

Kevins

Blank cell

Stephen, thanks for the help.
Here's the original formula.
=IF(G13F13,"OVERPAID","PAID")
I'm looking for the formula to only return a value in
cell I13 if there is a value in G13.

"Stephen" wrote:

"Kevins" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a spread sheet which tracks whether an item has been paid or not.
It
also looks at the amount claimed and compares this to the amount paid and
returns either "PAID", "UNDERPAID" or "OVERPAID". The problem is, if the
amount paid cell is blank the status defaults to "PAID". Any ideas?

It's easier if you post your formula. But try this (for amount paid in cell
A1):
=IF(A1="","",put_your_formula_here)

Stephen[_2_]

Blank cell

So,
=IF(G13="","",IF(G13F13,"OVERPAID","PAID"))

"Stephen" wrote:

"Kevins" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a spread sheet which tracks whether an item has been paid or
not.
It
also looks at the amount claimed and compares this to the amount paid
and
returns either "PAID", "UNDERPAID" or "OVERPAID". The problem is, if
the
amount paid cell is blank the status defaults to "PAID". Any ideas?

It's easier if you post your formula. But try this (for amount paid in
cell
A1):
=IF(A1="","",put_your_formula_here)

Ed Cones

Blank cell

How 'bout
=IF(ISNUMBER(G13),IF(G13=F13,"PAID",IF(G13<F13,"UN DERPAID","OVERPAID")),"")

"Stephen" wrote:

"Kevins" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a spread sheet which tracks whether an item has been paid or not.
It
also looks at the amount claimed and compares this to the amount paid and
returns either "PAID", "UNDERPAID" or "OVERPAID". The problem is, if the
amount paid cell is blank the status defaults to "PAID". Any ideas?

It's easier if you post your formula. But try this (for amount paid in cell
A1):
=IF(A1="","",put_your_formula_here)

Kevins

Blank cell

Brilliant Stephen - does the job perfectly!
Now I can get back to something more productive.
Good luck and many thanks.

"Stephen" wrote:

"Kevins" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a spread sheet which tracks whether an item has been paid or
not.
It
also looks at the amount claimed and compares this to the amount paid
and
returns either "PAID", "UNDERPAID" or "OVERPAID". The problem is, if
the
amount paid cell is blank the status defaults to "PAID". Any ideas?

It's easier if you post your formula. But try this (for amount paid in
cell
A1):
=IF(A1="","",put_your_formula_here)

Kevins

Blank cell

Ed,

I think I see what this formula is designed to do unfortunately, having
typed it in
as it is written here, it doesn't actually return a value at all in cell
I13, regardless
of the values entered in cells F13 and G13.

"Stephen" wrote:

"Kevins" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a spread sheet which tracks whether an item has been paid or not.
It
also looks at the amount claimed and compares this to the amount paid and
returns either "PAID", "UNDERPAID" or "OVERPAID". The problem is, if the
amount paid cell is blank the status defaults to "PAID". Any ideas?

It's easier if you post your formula. But try this (for amount paid in cell
A1):
=IF(A1="","",put_your_formula_here)

Kevins

Blank cell

Ed,

My error - it works very well if I actually point it at the correct cells!
Thanks for the help.

"Stephen" wrote:

"Kevins" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a spread sheet which tracks whether an item has been paid or not.
It
also looks at the amount claimed and compares this to the amount paid and
returns either "PAID", "UNDERPAID" or "OVERPAID". The problem is, if the
amount paid cell is blank the status defaults to "PAID". Any ideas?

It's easier if you post your formula. But try this (for amount paid in cell
A1):
=IF(A1="","",put_your_formula_here)

Ed Cones

Blank cell

Weird. It worked fine in my test spreadsheet, and I copied and pasted the
formula from the test to here to eliminate typos. I'd be happy to email the
test spreadsheet if you'd like it.

"Stephen" wrote:

"Kevins" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a spread sheet which tracks whether an item has been paid or not.
It
also looks at the amount claimed and compares this to the amount paid and
returns either "PAID", "UNDERPAID" or "OVERPAID". The problem is, if the
amount paid cell is blank the status defaults to "PAID". Any ideas?

It's easier if you post your formula. But try this (for amount paid in cell
A1):
=IF(A1="","",put_your_formula_here)

Ed Cones

Blank cell