-   -   I want the results of a formula to show in cell, NOT THE FORMULA! (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/1662-i-want-results-formula-show-cell-not-formula.html)

ocbecky

I want the results of a formula to show in cell, NOT THE FORMULA!

I have the new excel program and I can't figure out how to get the results of
a formula to show in the cell instead of the formula itself. The old program
displayed the results! That is what I want, how do I do that?
ie....=SUMPRODUCT(+D3+D4+D5+D7+D8) should be xyz dollars, not
.....=SUMPRODUCT(+D3+D4+D5+D7+D8). ARRRGGHHHHH

Ben McBen

I have had sinmilar issues - but forst make sure that in
Tools - Options - View Tab - you havent got
the "Formulas" check box ticked somehow. However if this
is not the case, then on occaision I have had this - I got
around it by copying a cell which showed the vlaue OK,
then paste special the format over the offending cell. I
never figured out what caused this to happen - theres
probably a good one that someone can explain - and we can
then both deal with this issue more wholistically...

ttfn benm

Ben McBen

I have had sinmilar issues - but forst make sure that in
Tools - Options - View Tab - you havent got
the "Formulas" check box ticked somehow. However if this
is not the case, then on occaision I have had this - I got
around it by copying a cell which showed the vlaue OK,
then paste special the format over the offending cell. I
never figured out what caused this to happen - theres
probably a good one that someone can explain - and we can
then both deal with this issue more wholistically...

ttfn benm

Frank Kabel

Hi
some ideas:
1. check the format of these cells. If they're set to 'Text' change them
to<'General' and re-enter your formual
2. Goto 'Tools - Options - View' and make sure 'Formulas' is unchecked

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

ocbecky wrote:
I have the new excel program and I can't figure out how to get the
results of a formula to show in the cell instead of the formula
itself. The old program displayed the results! That is what I want,
how do I do that? ie....=SUMPRODUCT(+D3+D4+D5+D7+D8) should be xyz
dollars, not ....=SUMPRODUCT(+D3+D4+D5+D7+D8). ARRRGGHHHHH

Wazooli

Try ctrl-~. This toggles between displaying the formula itself and the result.