-   -   top 10 for text? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/166091-top-10-text.html)

hitekredneck

top 10 for text?

I have a spreadsheet in which one of the columns is peoples name. I
need to find out what names appear the most. Since the top 10 doesn't
work with text, can someone please tell me how to do this with text?

Thanks
Mark

T. Valko

top 10 for text?

See this:

http://tinyurl.com/2gq3td

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"hitekredneck" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a spreadsheet in which one of the columns is peoples name. I
need to find out what names appear the most. Since the top 10 doesn't
work with text, can someone please tell me how to do this with text?

Thanks
Mark

buggles

top 10 for text?

"hitekredneck" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet in which one of the columns is peoples name. I
need to find out what names appear the most. Since the top 10 doesn't
work with text, can someone please tell me how to do this with text?

Thanks
Mark

what I would do is create a Pivot table, put the field name for "name" on the left and at the same time put it in the "data" section and do a COUNT OF instead of sum of. this will count the number of times that name appears.

hope that helps