-   -   Excel docs opening encoded (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/165547-excel-docs-opening-encoded.html)

jackievar

Excel docs opening encoded

I'm trying to open a doc that I just saved to Excel and it's opening encoded
as everything else I save in Excel.

I answered "yes" when the prompt to save normal template came on. Could
this be the answer? And if so, how do I change the files back to regular
documents?

Thanks for your help.

Gord Dibben

Excel docs opening encoded

Excel has no "normal template" but Word has.

Sound like you opened the Excel files using Word and saved as Word documents.

If so, your Excel files are gone.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 11:09:00 -0800, jackievar
wrote:

I'm trying to open a doc that I just saved to Excel and it's opening encoded
as everything else I save in Excel.

I answered "yes" when the prompt to save normal template came on. Could
this be the answer? And if so, how do I change the files back to regular
documents?

Thanks for your help.

Tyro[_2_]

Excel docs opening encoded

Aren't the original .xls files still there?

wrote:

I'm trying to open a doc that I just saved to Excel and it's opening
encoded
as everything else I save in Excel.

I answered "yes" when the prompt to save normal template came on. Could
this be the answer? And if so, how do I change the files back to regular
documents?

Thanks for your help.

Tyro[_2_]

Excel docs opening encoded

Word 2007 will not even open an Excel 2007 file.