-   -   Stop 10-6 from changeing to 6-Oct, or anything else. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/165544-stop-10-6-changeing-6-oct-anything-else.html)

JadedMan

Stop 10-6 from changeing to 6-Oct, or anything else.

Trying to keep track of sports scores, and everytime I enter anything that
could be a date it auto-formats. I don't want it to change it at all, is
there a way to turn off formating? Or at least for times that I have this
issue?

When I got into Format Cells, all of the options still change the number to
something crazy like 39361, or worse.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Tyro[_2_]

Stop 10-6 from changeing to 6-Oct, or anything else.

If you enter 11-10, Excel will interpret this as a date of November 10, 2007
(U.S.) and store it internally as the number 39396. This has nothing to do
with formatting. If you want to have 11-10 in your cell, preformat the cell
as text, so that Excel will interpret anything you enter into the cell as
text or you can enter your score as '11-10. The apostrophe makes the entry
text.

"JadedMan" wrote in message
Trying to keep track of sports scores, and everytime I enter anything that
could be a date it auto-formats. I don't want it to change it at all, is
there a way to turn off formating? Or at least for times that I have this
issue?

When I got into Format Cells, all of the options still change the number
something crazy like 39361, or worse.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

T. Valko

Stop 10-6 from changeing to 6-Oct, or anything else.

Either preformat the cell as TEXT or precede the entry with an apostrophe
like this: '10-6. The apostrophe will not be displayed in the cell. The
apostrophe tells Excel you want the entry to be TEXT.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP