-   -   Hidden Cell Contents (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/165473-hidden-cell-contents.html)

san-avsc

Hidden Cell Contents

I'm having various cells in various workbooks open up with the cell contents
hidden when they weren't previously open. The cells appear empty but there's
a value in the formula bar when the cell is selected. If I copy the
formatting from a visible cell to the invisible one, the contents reappear,
but then disappaer with certain further formatting steps. What is going on?

Dave Peterson

Hidden Cell Contents

Maybe the cell is formatted to have the same font color as fill color???

Maybe the cell has format|conditional formatting to make it look like the fill
and font color are the same under certain conditions.

Maybe the cell has a custom number format (like: ;;;) that will hide the value
in the worksheet.

But those are just guesses. I don't really understand what you mean by "they
weren't previously open".

--

Dave Peterson

san-avsc

Hidden Cell Contents

The cells were filled and the contents were visible before I closed them
previously, then today I open them up and the contents are hidden - but only
for certain cells in certain workbooks. It's not a font color issue,
conditional formatting issue, or number formatting issue - I checked all of
those. It has something to do with formatting though, because I can make the
contents visible by pasting a visible cell's format into the invisible cell.

I reinstalled Excel but that didn't work, then I restarted Windows and the
files were fixed. So it's been fixed for now, but very strange - neither I
nor my IT guy had ever seen anything like it.

Thanks for the suggestions nonetheless.

san-avsc wrote:

I'm having various cells in various workbooks open up with the cell contents
hidden when they weren't previously open. The cells appear empty but there's
a value in the formula bar when the cell is selected. If I copy the
formatting from a visible cell to the invisible one, the contents reappear,
but then disappaer with certain further formatting steps. What is going on?

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Hidden Cell Contents

Do you use multiple monitors?

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...09488256478b2d

or

http://snipurl.com/1crbf

Mike Brambley posts a link to a suggestion that worked for him.

san-avsc wrote:

I'm having various cells in various workbooks open up with the cell contents
hidden when they weren't previously open. The cells appear empty but there's
a value in the formula bar when the cell is selected. If I copy the
formatting from a visible cell to the invisible one, the contents reappear,
but then disappaer with certain further formatting steps. What is going on?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

san-avsc

Hidden Cell Contents

Thx Dave - I will try it if it happens again.