-   -   Filter words (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/164750-filter-words.html)

Therese

Filter words

Hi
I have columns with words in different cells, f.ex. one word in A1, one in
B2 and one in C12.
Is there some sort of a "sumfunction", so that I can filter all the words
down into row 14 ?
Thanks
Therese

Ian[_4_]

Filter words

There may be a "sumfunction" as you call it, but I don't know what it is.

Are the rest of the cells in each column occupied, or blank?

If blank, then =A1,A2,A3... etc will do for you.

If not blank, is there some way to determine which cell you need to copy
down (ie does it fit some criteria)?

If it isn't possible with a formula, then it's probably possible with code,
but still needs some way to determine exactly which cell to copy.

Ian

"Therese" wrote in message
Hi
I have columns with words in different cells, f.ex. one word in A1, one in
B2 and one in C12.
Is there some sort of a "sumfunction", so that I can filter all the words
down into row 14 ?
Thanks
Therese

Max

Filter words

One interp ..

Assuming you want to pull into row 14,
the contents of the first non blank* cell in each col within rows 1 - 13
*contents could be either text or number

Put in A14 and array-enter the formula by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER:
=IF(COUNTA(A1:A13)=0,"",INDEX(A1:A13,MATCH(TRUE,A1 :A13<"",0)))
Copy A14 across as far as required

If you want to pull only the first non blank cell containing text (ignore
numbers)
Put in A14 and array-enter the formula by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER:
=IF(COUNTA(A1:A13)=0,"",INDEX(A1:A13,MATCH(TRUE,IS TEXT(A1:A13),0)))
Copy A14 across as far as required

If you want to pull only the first non blank cell containing numbers (ignore
text)
Put in A14 and array-enter the formula by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER:
=IF(COUNT(A1:A13)=0,"",INDEX(A1:A13,MATCH(TRUE,ISN UMBER(A1:A13),0)))
Copy A14 across as far as required
--
Max
Singapore
"Therese" wrote:
Hi
I have columns with words in different cells, f.ex. one word in A1, one in
B2 and one in C12.
Is there some sort of a "sumfunction", so that I can filter all the words
down into row 14 ?
Thanks
Therese

Therese

Filter words

Hi again
Thanks. Uh...I forgot to say...There are several words in each column!
Next to each column I have another column with an x. I wanted something
like..IF
A1:A13=x, then the word in column B right next to the x, would come out in
A:14.
Oh no...hope I make it understandable!!
Therese

"Therese" wrote in message
Hi
I have columns with words in different cells, f.ex. one word in A1, one in
B2 and one in C12.
Is there some sort of a "sumfunction", so that I can filter all the words
down into row 14 ?
Thanks
Therese

Therese

Filter words

Hi again
Thanks. Uh...I forgot to say...There are several words in each column!
Next to each column I have another column with an x. I wanted something
like..IF
A1:A13=x, then the word in column B right next to the x, would come out in
A:14.

"Therese" wrote:
Hi
I have columns with words in different cells, f.ex. one word in A1, one in
B2 and one in C12.
Is there some sort of a "sumfunction", so that I can filter all the words
down into row 14 ?
Thanks
Therese

Max

Filter words

Ah, that's much simpler

Place in A14, normal ENTER will do:
=INDEX(B1:B13,MATCH("x",A1:A13,0))
--
"Therese" wrote:
Hi again
Thanks. Uh...I forgot to say...There are several words in each column!
Next to each column I have another column with an x. I wanted something
like..IF
A1:A13=x, then the word in column B right next to the x, would come out in
A:14.
Oh no...hope I make it understandable!!
Therese

Therese

Filter words

Hi Max
Took some time...sorry. Have been trying a while with your tip, but I can't
find the "MATCH"-function on a danish computer...unless...is it in the newest
excel-version ?
Thanks a lot!!
Merry x-mas
THerese

"Therese" wrote:
Hi again
Thanks. Uh...I forgot to say...There are several words in each column!
Next to each column I have another column with an x. I wanted something
like..IF
A1:A13=x, then the word in column B right next to the x, would come out in
A:14.
Oh no...hope I make it understandable!!
Therese

Therese

Filter words

Hi Ian
Thanks!

"Therese" wrote in message
Hi
I have columns with words in different cells, f.ex. one word in A1, one in
B2 and one in C12.
Is there some sort of a "sumfunction", so that I can filter all the words
down into row 14 ?
Thanks
Therese

Max

Filter words

.. can't find the "MATCH"-function on a danish computer
Not sure, sorry. One guess from some google trawl,
perhaps SAMMENLIGN ?

MATCH is not a new function - it has been around since xl97 (my 1st ver)
--
"Therese" wrote in message
Hi Max
Took some time...sorry. Have been trying a while with your tip, but I
can't
find the "MATCH"-function on a danish computer...unless...is it in the
newest
excel-version ?
Thanks a lot!!
Merry x-mas
THerese

Therese

Filter words

Hi
Thanks anyway...see it took some time to find out the reply. Sorted
everything with a VLOOKUP.
Thanks
Hi

"Therese" wrote in message
Hi Max
Took some time...sorry. Have been trying a while with your tip, but I
can't
find the "MATCH"-function on a danish computer...unless...is it in the
newest
excel-version ?
Thanks a lot!!
Merry x-mas
THerese

Therese

Filter words

....oh...right!!!Oh no thanks for getting the answer. But you are right.
Prolem sorted.
haha
Hi