Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Creating a PivotTable w/o selecting data in an existing PivotTable

I am attempting to create a second PivotTable using the PivotTable Wizard and
need to use an Excel database as my data source. Each time I select the data
range and hit Next it gives me a list of PivotTables to choose from for my
data source. Excel should be giving me the option to create the table from an
existing table (as it is) to save memory or choose a new data source. If I
use another machine in the office it does give me this option. Is there any
way to get my computer to give me this option? I appreciate any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Damian

Although the wizard shows the PT Name, if you read the first line of the
dialogue box, it says
"Which Pivot table report contains the data you want to use?"

It will refer back to the source data for that PT, not to the PT itself and
will save memory as opposed to creating a new PT from a given source data
range.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Damian" wrote in message
I am attempting to create a second PivotTable using the PivotTable Wizard
and
need to use an Excel database as my data source. Each time I select the
data
range and hit Next it gives me a list of PivotTables to choose from for my
data source. Excel should be giving me the option to create the table from
an
existing table (as it is) to save memory or choose a new data source. If I
use another machine in the office it does give me this option. Is there
any
way to get my computer to give me this option? I appreciate any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is the same version of Excel on both machines?
Are you testing this on the same workbook?

Damian wrote:
I am attempting to create a second PivotTable using the PivotTable Wizard and
need to use an Excel database as my data source. Each time I select the data
range and hit Next it gives me a list of PivotTables to choose from for my
data source. Excel should be giving me the option to create the table from an
existing table (as it is) to save memory or choose a new data source. If I
use another machine in the office it does give me this option. Is there any
way to get my computer to give me this option? I appreciate any help.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Creating a PivotTable w/o selecting data in an existing PivotT

Roger,

Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate your help. I do understand that
doing this will target the data used to create the first PT, and not the PT
itself, but I need to use a different range of data in this second table. Is
there any way I can get my machine to allow this?

Thanks again,

-Damian

"Damian" wrote in message
I am attempting to create a second PivotTable using the PivotTable Wizard
and
need to use an Excel database as my data source. Each time I select the
data
range and hit Next it gives me a list of PivotTables to choose from for my
data source. Excel should be giving me the option to create the table from
an
existing table (as it is) to save memory or choose a new data source. If I
use another machine in the office it does give me this option. Is there
any
way to get my computer to give me this option? I appreciate any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Debra,

I appreciate your assistance with this issue. Yes, I am using Excel 2003 on
both computers and am using the same workbook.

Thanks,

-Damian

Damian wrote:
I am attempting to create a second PivotTable using the PivotTable Wizard and
need to use an Excel database as my data source. Each time I select the data
range and hit Next it gives me a list of PivotTables to choose from for my
data source. Excel should be giving me the option to create the table from an
existing table (as it is) to save memory or choose a new data source. If I
use another machine in the office it does give me this option. Is there any
way to get my computer to give me this option? I appreciate any help.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Damian

Yes you can.
Select any cell in your source data rangeDataPivot TableNextenter any
other valid range that you wishLayoutset which fields are to appear in
which sectionsFinish

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Damian" wrote in message
I am attempting to create a second PivotTable using the PivotTable
Wizard
and
need to use an Excel database as my data source. Each time I select the
data
range and hit Next it gives me a list of PivotTables to choose from for
my
data source. Excel should be giving me the option to create the table
from
an
existing table (as it is) to save memory or choose a new data source.
If I
use another machine in the office it does give me this option. Is there
any
way to get my computer to give me this option? I appreciate any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I still encounter the same issue when I do this. In step one I choose
"Microsoft Office Excel list or database" but when I hit Next after selecting
my data range it brings up a list of PT's to choose from as if I chose
"Another PT report or PC report" in step one. If I hit back at this window it
brings me back to step one and now "Another PT report or PC report" is
selected.

Thanks again for all of your help Roger.

-Damian