-   -   Lookup exact number (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/163556-lookup-exact-number.html)

stetka

Lookup exact number

I need to look up an exact number i.e. sn4-10 but it brings up sn4-100 or
sn4-101 etc. how do i do this?

Ron Coderre

Lookup exact number

If you're using the VLOOKUP or HLOOKUP functions....they have a 4th argument (parameter).
Setting it to FALSE or 0 (zero) will cause them to only find exact (but not case sensitive) matches.

Example:
=VLOOKUP(A1,C1:D10,2,FALSE)

See Excel Help for more info.

Does that help?
Post back if you have more questions.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"stetka" wrote in message ...
I need to look up an exact number i.e. sn4-10 but it brings up sn4-100 or
sn4-101 etc. how do i do this?

Chip Pearson

Lookup exact number

What formula are you using? If you are using VLOOKUP or HLOOKUP, you need to
include the 4th parameter with a value of FALSE.

=VLOOKUP(value,range,offset,FALSE)

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"stetka" wrote in message
I need to look up an exact number i.e. sn4-10 but it brings up sn4-100
or
sn4-101 etc. how do i do this?

stetka

Lookup exact number

I am only using the regular "find" under the edit options

"stetka" wrote in message ...
I need to look up an exact number i.e. sn4-10 but it brings up sn4-100 or
sn4-101 etc. how do i do this?

Gord Dibben

Lookup exact number

Then use the editfindoptionsmatch entire cell contents.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP