-   -   Copy Date to Text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/163544-copy-date-text.html)

knowshowrosegrows

Copy Date to Text

I have a long row of dates that are formatted as Date.

I want to copy and past them into a blank cell as text and have them still
look like dates (10/25/07) not long numbers.
--
Thanks from the top of my little pointed head

Kevin B

Copy Date to Text

Insert a helper column and then place the following formula in the newly
minted column

=TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yyyy")

Copy the formula down the column as far as necessary.

Copy the entire column that has the converted dates and the click EDIT in
the menu and select PASTE SPECIAL. Click the VALUES option button and click
OK and your formulas are now just the results of the formula.

Adjust the cell address and date format to fit your current requirements.
--
Kevin Backmann

"knowshowrosegrows" wrote:

I have a long row of dates that are formatted as Date.

I want to copy and past them into a blank cell as text and have them still
look like dates (10/25/07) not long numbers.
--
Thanks from the top of my little pointed head

Gord Dibben

Copy Date to Text

Copying and pasting will not turn them into text nor change the underlying
serial number uses for dates.

All I can see is a formula in an adjacent column or wherever you want the text
dates to show up.

=TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yyy")

When done, copy then paste specialvaluesokesc

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP