-   -   Truncating text field in column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/162627-truncating-text-field-column.html)

Anne

Truncating text field in column

I have a text field in an Excel spreadsheet with (for instance) 10
characters. I wish to truncate the first 5 characters and leave the rest. Is
there an easy way to do that in Excel?

Dave Peterson

Truncating text field in column

Select the column/field.
(xl2003 menu system)
Data|Text to columns
Fixed width
draw a line between the 5th and 6th characters
erase any other line that excel may have guessed

Choose "Skip/Do not import" for the first portion of that field
and finish up that wizard.

--

Dave Peterson

David Biddulph[_2_]