-   -   How to specify a static cell reference (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/162583-how-specify-static-cell-reference.html)

PRW

How to specify a static cell reference

Hi,

I'm trying to create a worksheet that calculates the compounding
effect of a specified percentage increase on a given starting figure
i.e. starting with 100 and increasing it in steps by 10% each time.

How do I copy the formula I've created whilst stopping Excel from
automatically changing the reference of the cell containing the
percentage I want to use? I want every formula to refer to cell I4
which contains the percentage I'm using instead of changing it to I5,
I6, I7 etc

To put it another way, how do I tell Excel that one cell referenced in
the formula is not to change whilst the others are?

I hope that makes sense....it's a simple problem but a difficult one
to put into words.

Many thanks

Paul

Pete_UK

How to specify a static cell reference

Instead of using I4 in your formula, write it as $I$4 - this is using
absolute references and will not change when you copy the formula
across or down.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 18, 11:46 am, PRW wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to create a worksheet that calculates the compounding
effect of a specified percentage increase on a given starting figure
i.e. starting with 100 and increasing it in steps by 10% each time.

How do I copy the formula I've created whilst stopping Excel from
automatically changing the reference of the cell containing the
percentage I want to use? I want every formula to refer to cell I4
which contains the percentage I'm using instead of changing it to I5,
I6, I7 etc

To put it another way, how do I tell Excel that one cell referenced in
the formula is not to change whilst the others are?

I hope that makes sense....it's a simple problem but a difficult one
to put into words.

Many thanks

Paul

Stephen[_2_]

How to specify a static cell reference

"PRW" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I'm trying to create a worksheet that calculates the compounding
effect of a specified percentage increase on a given starting figure
i.e. starting with 100 and increasing it in steps by 10% each time.

How do I copy the formula I've created whilst stopping Excel from
automatically changing the reference of the cell containing the
percentage I want to use? I want every formula to refer to cell I4
which contains the percentage I'm using instead of changing it to I5,
I6, I7 etc

To put it another way, how do I tell Excel that one cell referenced in
the formula is not to change whilst the others are?

I hope that makes sense....it's a simple problem but a difficult one
to put into words.

Many thanks

Paul

Use an absolute reference: $I$4 instead of I4.

PRW

On Oct 18, 11:46 am, PRW wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to create a worksheet that calculates the compounding
effect of a specified percentage increase on a given starting figure
i.e. starting with 100 and increasing it in steps by 10% each time.

How do I copy the formula I've created whilst stopping Excel from
automatically changing the reference of the cell containing the
percentage I want to use? I want every formula to refer to cell I4
which contains the percentage I'm using instead of changing it to I5,
I6, I7 etc

To put it another way, how do I tell Excel that one cell referenced in
the formula is not to change whilst the others are?

I hope that makes sense....it's a simple problem but a difficult one
to put into words.

Many thanks

Paul

Brilliant, thanks very much.....I knew it would be something simple.

oasalako1

How to specify a static cell reference

Hi,

Always Use $A$1 to permernently refer to Cell A1 and any other cell.

olu

"oasalako1" wrote in message

Always Use $A$1 to permernently refer to Cell A1 and any other cell.

olu

"PRW" wrote:

You can't use $A$1 to refer to any other cell!

Pete_UK

How to specify a static cell reference

You're welcome - thanks for taking the trouble to feed back.

Pete

On Oct 18, 11:54 am, PRW wrote:

Brilliant, thanks very much.....I knew it would be something simple.- Hide quoted text -