-   -   Timeline: where it will match up data automatically (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/16244-timeline-where-will-match-up-data-automatically.html)

Fidelio1st

Timeline: where it will match up data automatically

I'm trying to create a timeline for a screenplay I'm writing. I found a
nifty little template:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...162661033.aspx

But what I don't like is that I have to manually enter and move around the
events, and enter the years manually, etc.. I need to set up 3 different
timelines:

1. for 1 year, where each line on the timeline is a month
2. for 12 years, where each line is a year
3. a 60 year period, where every 2 lines is a decade, ie. from 1930's to
1990's

I want to make a chart where I enter the date and the event, then excel will
automatically make a box and put the event where it belongs on the timeline.
For example, I would make a chart like this for the year 2003:

Date Event
03/15/03 Intro Interview
05/05/03 Writer's Block
11/20/03 Chp. 4: Sales Meeting

Now instead of having to type each of these in the box in the template
(link) above, and then place them where they belong, I want to be able to
make a chart like the one above, and it automatically places it where it
belongs on the timeline (if I have to do each timeline separately, i.e. the
1,2,3 above, thats fine).

Any advice would be much appreciated, as I have a lot of events to place,
and if I can figure out how to do this, it will save time. Also, if you have
a suggestion for a better (free) program to use for this, that would also be
helpful. Thanks.